- Bachelor’s degree in Cellular and Molecular Biology with honors from University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1984
- Master’s degree in Biomedical Engineering at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1986.
- Medical Degree earned from Tulane University School Of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1990
- Pain Management Fellowship, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL, 1996
- Board certified in both Anesthesiology and in Pain Management
- Diplomat of the American Society of Anesthesiologists.
- Diplomat of the American Society of Pain Medicine Specialists
- Medical Director, Acute Pain Hospital Service, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL, 2002
- Fellowship Director, Pain Management Fellowship, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL, 2002
- Dr. Carey is now in private practice specializing in interventional spine pain management at the Jacksonville Spine Center since 2003.
- He continues to specialize in the applications of Neuromodulation (spinal cord stimulation) and advanced implant therapies in the field of interventional pain management.
- He currently serves as an educational speaker and clinical instructor of implantation workshops for Medtronics, Inc. (manufacturers of spinal cord stimulators – as found in Jerry Lewis). His academic and research interests include Medical Informatics.
- American Society of Regional Anesthesia
- American Academy of Anesthesiology
- American Academy of Pain Management
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
- International Spine Injection Society
- American Medical Association
- Florida Medical Association,
- Mayo Foundation Alumni Society
- Duval County Medical Society